Friday, March 23, 2012

Make the invisible visible

Just recently I have been very busy at school working on some 'extras'. Love Reading week was an extra, presentations to the grade 11 Extended Essay students, making book trailers with one grade 4 class and working with colleagues to write a digital literacy curriculum document. These extra things AND the usual things I do are invisible to the people I work with. I look busy, my desk is an explosion of projects and books and computers, but do they know and understand what I do and how it makes a difference?

Gary Hartzell wrote a challenging article for School Library Journal in 1997 entitled "The invisible school librarian" He states it is possible to be visible and..  The way to fight back is to make the role and contributions of school librarians visible to those people who have the power to make a difference.
This is realistic, but it's in your hands. You have to write and present, you have to work to change the culture of library service, and you have to direct your organizations to look outward as well as inward. It would be both ironic and tragic if school library information centers fail the schools and the students they serve because administrators didn't have any information about them.

So I am stating here that I will rise to the challenge. It is not easy and it will take time but here goes....