Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sharing in the library

Today a student expressed surprise that I thought he should return his library books in a timely manner so other students could also share them. I used the word "share" and I wonder if that was the disconnect. Today when a young person "shares" something electronically they don't "share" it at all - they simply pass it on. When they "share" a photo, video or audio file it actually never leaves them. They do not experience any cost to themselves, they are not without it, it never leaves them. To return a library book, however, does have a cost to them - they cannot use it while someone else has it. In this easy-to-access electronic age I am wondering if our language is becoming too soft and meaningless as well. Yes there is a cost to sharing, there should be. Sharing means that I choose to go without so that someone else can participate in an experience. Now we can pass on the experience without losing anything at all. I am not sure that is a good thing.

By the way - I still want that library book returned so someone else can read it......

How to wish a librarian a happy birthday? Say many happy returns.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25035350@N03/5616439126/