Friday, June 22, 2012

Summer is here

I didn't make it to 80 Young Adult books this year - but I will continue until I do. I have read so many books for all age levels and enjoyed almost all of them. I am so pleased I gave myself this assignment. I wonder what I will do for next year? I have the summer to think about that. I will be reading and blogging over the summer. Watch that total creep even higher.

One of the hardest things about working in an International School is that every year families move away. Transfers, end of contracts, new opportunities all mean that we say good-bye to one third of our school community. Our headmaster, Peter Welch, has a weekly blog and this week he wrote about saying good-bye. Below is a quote from that blog.

"What I value is the richness of experience that an international life offers and the opportunity to keep learning. It seems to me that it is important to be ‘present’ in all our social and professional relationship and be open to proper connections. We should allow ourselves to be sad when people we care about move on. And we should try to properly appreciate people before they go and say that they have made a difference to us."

So we are busy with summer borrowing, sign outs and  autographing year book pages - it is the last day of school for the year. Happy Summer everyone. I will be spending some of it in the winter of New Zealand.